Saturday 24 August 2013

Cochin to Ooty and the Toy train

We have an Indian to thank for the debacle of the 21st of August. Leaving at 6.30am we would endure a 20 minute ferry, a 10 minute rickshaw, a 5.5 hour train in rancid class (on which I actually vomited in the toilet sink from the stench without even managing to face the toilet), then a seven hour service bus. I am not in the mood to sugar coat anything, largely due to this all being done post looking for flights home at 4am, due to feeling like a plague of rats was ruling my insides. I've never felt more like it could be the end for me. And I'm not exaggerating. There is no amount of positive thinking that would make this farce of a day better! 

The highlight, if you like, was 11 school boys gradually encroach on my space and invade the contents of my bag. That and getting to some accommodation with wifi and a hot shower. 

A lesson from this, is not one I will ever benefit from. But broadly, don't book things here too far in advance, but by the same token DO book in advance, routes that are super popular or special, I.e the Ooty-Metapalyam toy train - on the UNESCO World Heritage list. After all, this is the sole reason we came back up in the direction rather than doing the Met-ooty trip on our way down to Kerala from Hampi. There was clearly a better way to get here from Ernakulam to Ooty than going via Calicut on the coast. Hey ho!

The Toy train 
So we boarded the train at 2pm bound for an arrival time of 5.45. Its 5 cute carriages are lead by a steam train down the valley (and pushed on the way up) through tea plantations, towns, small stations, over bridges, through tunnels and in between enormous rock faces.
It is actually spectacular. It's only warm as well, not hot, not sweltering, warm with a nice breeze.

Now? A night train to Chennai. In first class. Which basically probably just means a few square feet more of space, a slightly less rancid toilet and some food that would ordinarily cost about 40p. This cynicism is born out of two things, the foremost being the reality (after 3 weeks here...and a month a few years ago) and to some degree the cold I've got that commands tomato soup that I cannot get.

No comments:

Post a Comment