Tuesday 13 August 2013

Holy Hampi!

To get to HAMPI you arrive by train (7 hours from Goa) into Hospet. A bumpy 15 minute rickshaw ride and you're in tiny Hampi where you'll see the Virupaksha temple. Our rickshaw driver reminded me instantly of Sid from Ice Age, which I think made me like him more. We were dropped off at Rocky's  Guesthouse and that's where we stayed for 2 nights. My sister who was here 4 years ago simply said "Hampi is cool, it's like bedrock." A bedrock where there is no alcohol or meat.
 

So you're in Hampi, where on arrival you need to register as a visitor at the Police station. Very quickly the below (see pic) will happen and you will have said your own name and shaken people's hands more times in 20 minutes than you would in a typical year!!
It's hilarious. And for the record, I was bought my corn on the cob for the 10 photographs they took!

HAMPI has lots of little shops in the main bazaar, as well as cafe/restaurants. The surrounding area is punctuated with lots of ruins and temples all of Hindu significance. Sid took us around the area on his rickshaw for a few hours. When at the temples I spent most of the time having my photo taken with children and taking photos of children. They were that giddy at looking at them afterwards it caused more and more to want their photo taken too! After a short lesson in greetings, the group of three left us saying 'bye friend' after correcting their greeting 'hello auntie'.

It is a unique, relaxed place, I'd definitely recommend a stop here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment