Wednesday 7 August 2013

Its about the journey not the destination...

Day 4/5
I've titled this post for a reason, not because I'm trying to be profound and whimsical!

The past couple of days have tried my patience in a few ways, not least vodafone texting me telling me id spent £42.50 on the Internet after 4 minutes use after telling me it would be £5 for the day.

I was told "these are our slogans" by an Indian train worker  - oh good.

We arrived at our second destination (Ganpatipule - Konkan Coast) after a decent night train journey. It became apparent this may have been an error and somewhere I wouldn't choose to go as far out of the way to visit, even in the high season. 
One night would be spent and then we were back to the bus-rickshaw-waiting-train-rickshaw routine. Sounds rubbish, but actually it's been good day. Between mini chai teas, pigeon conversations with Indians asking where i'm from (followed by a nod and a grin - the accepting silence that acknowledged there were no more words to exchange) and interruptions of 'chai, tea, cafe, samosa, peanuts' resonating down the train carriage, the hours have passed nicely. 
It's not just us who make us of the Lonely Planet guide!
The 300+km 6 hour train journey to Goa cost about a quid (my chai's cost between 3 and 6p) to sit in what should be unreserved 2nd class, but is in fact sleeper class, because I couldn't be chewed with walking the length of the 26 carriage train.

If there was one tip I would give anyone doing this, it would be, bring a cloth heavily scented with eucalyptus or something else equally as pungent but still bearable to breath in. I've smelt some of the most rancid things I've smelt in my life today and almost died of smoke inhalation on the train travelling through multiple never ending tunnels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment