Saturday 24 August 2013

Kerala: A jewel in India's crown?

If you come to Kerala you'll wind up in Cochin at least, probably Alleppy (houseboats) and possibly Varkala (beaches). 

I stayed at a place in Alleppy which I found in the Lonely Planet, and this time it came up trumps ...
Nest. A 6am arrival I was pleased was a pleasant as it was.

The boat offer came from the home stay owner. We didn't even see it before we found ourselves seemingly hooked in on the deal, as he was carrying fuel for the motor, collecting food for our trip. That said we were taking something of a risk. Even when an Indian says 'you won't be disappointed' - I'd usually still be dubious!

The next morning we got to the boat at 12pm, which is standard. Low and behold - it was great! One night on the boat with food and drink included has cost me £27.50 plus the extra £7 I've just spent to have some gigantic prawns so fresh I saw them alive, oh and £1.70 on a Kingfisher. By far the most costly day anyone is likely to have here. But it actually is a must do thing. There are much cheaper boats and no doubt some a bit more expensive. Ours is small (sleeps 4), goes through all the narrow waterways, uses solar for energy, doesn't hoy the shit into the water or munch on air con. 


The food was great, the room I stayed in was pitch black and boiling hot. The staff on the boat (three) were great. 

After the houseboat stuff we went to Fort Cochin, a couple of buses and a couple of hours got us here and we are staying in the first hostel type place. I'm going to be brief about this place (just because i cannot be arsed). Its little, has a nice walk along a coastal promenade, there's some nice bakery's and a lot of English and French people here. Not much to do really though. 
I spent an afternoon on Willingdon Island, across the water, at the Taj hotels spa. Spending £70 for the best 2 hour scrub and massage I've ever had.

Three main things to note at this stage:
1. I'm knackered
2. I'm sick of introducing my self and going though where we've been, where we are going and what I do at home...the the obligation to reply with the same questions.
3. Rick shaw drivers are mostly clueless, lazy good for nothing idiots. 

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment